Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Eyes Have It: 'It' being paint.

Following the review of the Occulites, here are the minis after being painted.

Here is the brave leader, with faithful Luftle companion. 

It wasn't easy coming up with a color scheme, since I quite liked the official color scheme choice that Darwin games went with. If I hadn't seen it (Brown bodies and dark green skin, pale yellow eyes) I'd probably have done the same. But since I had seen it, I wanted to challenge myself to come up with something different. 

What I aimed for was a red-brown fur body.  I used the look of powdery chocolate truffles for inspiration.  
Skin I went for a drab blue,with bright pinkish for eye & under neck-belly skin for bright accent.  

The Luftles kept the same pattern of coloration, but going into dried-orange for fur and a brighter jade skin. 
I still may go back and tip the ends of these leaves in yellow.

Here is the group together (click for larger):


 


They were really great fun to paint! 

Speaking of eyes, showing why one is better than many... 
Enjoy!

13 comments:

Simon Quinton said...

Fantastic Brushwork on such characterful miniatures. The start of that video made me think of Crooked Dices Minions!

Chris said...

These look great and the colors remind me of coconuts.

Jay said...

Really nice color-interpretation. These troops are cute and monsters at the same time (makes me smile...thanks!).

Jason Meyers said...

Those crazy little guys look great! Fantastic job. The only thing I would change is to paint the eye a different color than the neck.

Unknown said...

I love these little guys and remember when you first did the post on them. You've done marvelous job painting them too.

I've got multiple projects going on and I like to include bloggers in my mini stories. Would you mind if I found a place for the Ferret in one of my wacky worlds.

Laughing Ferret said...

Thanks all :)

Chris, yes they remind me of coconuts too :)

Der Feldmarschall: I know what you mean, and had considered that- I was going to do the neck yellow or as is and the eye neon green- but with the blue skin, I tried it this way and liked it enough to keep it.

Anne: Thanks, and sure, would be happy appear there :)

Bill said...

Love the brown bellies makes me think of Otters and Hamsters.Very cool minis. How do the little guys see?

styx said...

Reminds me CAPTAIN CAVE MAN!

Saturday morning flashback there kids!

Very crazy! I love it!

MrLee said...

Fantastic. I would be surprised if the company doesn't "borrow" those photos to place up on their site also.

Also your videos sometimes rival your photos.. this one is a classic! Thanks for sharing.

Dr. Willett's Workshop said...

They're weird creatures but must have been fun to paint. Having read soem of the comments, yeah coconut...

Michael Awdry said...

They are absolutely delightful, what a great job!

Laughing Ferret said...

Bill: the little ones.. not sure- I'm guessing they get around by smell or sound- maybe a sonar? maybe that's why they like the big occulites so much, relying on them.

Mr. Lee: MST3K always hits the spot :)

Dr.W: very fun to paint. I love the coconut aspect- my girlfriend calls them 'Cocosiki' (roughly meaning cute little coconuts)

Thanks Michael :)

Ben Boersma said...

You've done an awesome job on these! Thanks for sharing the photos.

Bill, the little guys are Luftles and they use a type of Sonar much like bats do to sense their surroundings. The bulb that is their head gives off and receives sonar like readings that map their surroundings in great detail.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...